Municipality registration

Students need to be registered in the municipality where they reside. On this page we give information of the municipality of Breda. If you will live in another municipality then Breda, you need to go to the Town Hall of that municipality.


To register in the municipal register you will need to bring the following documents:

  • valid passport or valid identity card and (if applicable) those of your child or children
  • original birth certificate of all those to be registered (authenticated or with apostil)
  • declaration by main occupant (verklaring inwoning), housing permit (verhuurdersverklaring), rental contract (huurcontract) or sales contract (koopcontract) 
  • If you are not an EU citizen, you must also register at the IND (all Non-EU students will be contacted by Student Office)

Make an appointment

To avoid long waiting time, you are adviced to make an appointment via the via the website of the municipality (in this case Breda).

Move house

It is very important to keep your data updated at all times; all government offices make use of these data. Information regarding renewal of your residence permit (Non EU students) will be sent to the address included in the municipal register. If you need to change your address you have to visit the Town hall and fill in a ‘change of address’ form.

You are obliged to sign out with the municipal register when you plan to leave Breda definitely. Incoming exchange students will receive a deregistration form during their check out meeting.

Address in Studielink

If you register yourself at the municipality do not forget to change your address in Studielink (the national administration system for higher education in the Netherlands where you also are to apply). For information from NHTV your address in Studielink will be used.