Working in the Netherlands

International students in the Netherlands are allowed to work part-time, just like many Dutch students do. A job can help you cover the costs, you can get some work experience, it can help you make contact with the Dutch, and it makes it easier for you to learn the language. You have to keep in mind, however, that there are many students in Breda and only a limited number of jobs, so it may not be easy to find a job, especially if you don’t speak Dutch.

If you want to work you will need a 'BSN' number for tax purposes. You will get this number as soon as you are registered in the municipality database (GBA).

EU/EEA students

If you are from the EU/EEA (but not from Croatia) or from Switzerland, you are free to work without restrictions. EU students who work for a minimum of 56 hours per month can apply for a Dutch student grant (check

If you are from Croatia, the non-EU restrictions will apply to you (see below).

Non-EU students

If you are from Croatia (until 1 July 2018), or from a country outside the EU/EEA, there are some restrictions if you want to have a part-time job. You are allowed to work a maximum of 16 hours a week or, instead, three months full-time during the summer holidays (June, July and August). However, your employer needs to apply for your work permit. This is not a difficult procedure, but your employer needs to be willing to make this extra effort.

Work permit

The company where you are going to work has to apply for your work permit through the 'UWV'. You can tell your employer that there are no charges for him/her and the procedure (permit for a maximum of 10 hours) is not difficult. Normally it takes approximately three weeks before the permit is issued. For more information about a work permit you can check:

Finding a job

NHTV publishes part-time job opportunities on NHTV Insight. There are all kinds of job agencies in Breda which can help you out with finding a job. If you google ‘uitzendbureau Breda’ you will find a lot of them. Many students work at McDonalds (you don’t need to speak Dutch necessarily), or in a bar or restaurant (basic Dutch proficiency required).

Tax return

Students who have a part-time job can ask for a tax return. Every year in January/ February people who work in the Netherlands get what is called a  ‘jaaropgaaf’. This is a very important document if you are working and it will only be given to you once (so don’t lose it!). You need this document if you want to ask for several services provided by the Tax Authority.

More information can be found on the website of the Tax Authority.