Entry visa and study residence permit

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for residency. This depends on your nationality.

  • European Union / European Economic Area and Switzerland:
    You will not need a visa and/or residence permit.
  • Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, Japan, South Korea, Monaco or Vatican City:
    You will need a residence permit.
  • Students with other nationalities:
    You will need an entry visa AND residence permit.

More than one nationality?

If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which of your nationalities you want to use for your stay in the Netherlands. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend you choose this nationality.

Schengen Area

Residence permits arranged through NHTV will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries easily possible. The following countries are Schengen Visa Members

How to apply for a visa and/or residence permit?

NHTV Student Office will start the application procedure for your visa and/or residence permit as soon as you have been admitted to one of the NHTV’s course programmes or exchange programmes. The procedure may take up to 8 weeks.

NHTV Student Office will send you an email with login code and password to use the Visa Care+ application system. After logging in you will be guided through the Visa / Residence Permit application procedure. You will find all the instructions needed on the ‘My Documents Page’ that will be activated after you have filled in the online application form.

Read more about the Study visa and study residence permit application procedure (pdf).

Validity of residence permit

Generally, a residence permit will be issued for the duration of your study programme plus 3 months, provided that you obtain 50% of your credits every year. Apart from the 50% credit completion requirement, you will need to submit a copy of your current health insurance policy, a copy of your valid passport, and proof of having sufficient financial means to cover all your living expenses annually.