If you have successfully completed the Bachelor of Science Leisure Studies (ILS) programme, NHTV’s pre-master’s programme in Leisure Studies (more information below), NHTV’s pre-master’s programme Strategic Business Management and Marketing (SBM) or the Bachelor of Science Tourism (BSc) programme, you will have direct access to the academic master’s programme.
If you have successfully completed an academic bachelor’s degree in any of the social sciences - such as sociology, psychology, economics, management or marketing – your access to the academic master’s programme will be evaluated in an introductory interview and/or an inventory of your methodology skills and academic knowledge in leisure studies.
Admission requirements for International applicants
For admission to this academic master programme an academic bachelor’s degree is required. In case you do not have a bachelor’s degree obtained in the Netherlands, our Admissions officer will evaluate if your bachelor’s degree can be considered a professional or an academic bachelor degree, compared to the Dutch educational system. The level of your research skills and theoretical background will be thoroughly evaluated, because an academic Master’s program needs a higher starting level than a professional bachelor diploma delivers.
Pre-master Leisure Studies
If you have a professional bachelor’s degree, you will first have to complete a pre-master’s track to prepare you for studying at an academic master’s level. After completion of this pre-master’s track, you will have direct access to the academic master’s programme in Leisure Studies.
Read more about the pre-master Leisure Studies
This flowchart of the admission and selection process for international applicants (pdf) shows how NHTV handles your application.
Test Of English as a Foreign Language
As a non-native speaker of English, you must also show sufficient results of one of these tests:
- CAE, Cambridge Advanced Certificate or CPE, Certificate of Proficiency in English
- IELTS test (minimum overall band score 6.5 and a minimum sub score for Speaking 6.0)
- TOEFL test (minimum score 90 internet-based and minimum sub score for Speaking 20)
Exemptions from taking the English test
You do not need to take an English language test to be allowed to attend an English-language master’s programme if:
- English is your native language;
- you have attended a study programme in a country whose official native language and language of instruction is English;
- you are a Dutch havo or vwo graduate;
- you have obtained a diploma that is included in the list of diplomas compiled by Nuffic. One of your exam subjects was English. Check the list of diplomas (pdf)